About the prize
Since 1993, The Joaninha Trust has bestowed an annual award upon an exceptionally talented singer for whom support in continuing specialist full-time professional studies, carrying forward personal vocal or language tuition and auditioning for roles would be invaluable.
The Trust now has a well established role on the range of support available to young singers and the heads of colleges have responded with enthusiasm.
Invitations are sent to major institutions to nominate annually one of their best students –
- The Birmingham Conservatoire
- The Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- The Royal Academy of Music
- The Royal College of Music
- The Royal Northern College of Music
- The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama
- The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance
In addition, candidates are nominated annually by the Monteverdi Choir, Glyndebourne Festival Opera and Garsington Opera.
We have been most grateful in recent years for the valuable audition space very helpfully provided free of charge by the Royal Academy of Music and in 2017 by the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
The Trustees of The Joaninha Trust are –
- Peter Chapman MBE, FCA (Chairman)
- Teresa Cahill
- Elizabeth Gardiner
- John Graham-Hall
- Carol Hawkins
- Richard Morrison
- Keith Salway FCA